Consider date formatting

Maggie Pint maggiepint at gmail.com
Thu Sep 21 14:04:39 UTC 2017

Substantial work is being put into a date standard library and formatting
currently. There is a stage 1 proposal to rework the date library here:
https://github.com/tc39/proposal-temporal. I have a shim for that proposal
started here: https://github.com/maggiepint/temporal-shim. I will probably
seek stage two for this proposal in November of January. It is quite large,
and the shim and spec text take a long time to write, so it can't be moved
quickly.

My plan for formatting is to continue to rely on ECMA 402 as we do today.
That team has done a wonderful job in the space, and I'm not entirely sure
how i could one-up them at this point.

As far as why that proposal isn't just the Moment.js library - quite a few
reasons. I maintain the Moment.js library with a couple other people, and
the moment team actually created the new temporal proposal based on the
knowledge of where the library falls down, and where other libraries have
succeeded. Some points of difference from moment:
Proposal has all immutable data structures
Proposal provides a way to represent a date only, time only, and date time
without associated time zone
APIs in several corners have 'safety' features that Moment doesn't have to
prevent developer error - for instance the user must specify a time zone on
a zoned object

Even after this proposal goes though, I assume there will still be
libraries, simply because everyone has different preferences. That said,
one should no longer HAVE to bring in a date library for anything as they
do today.