Make comma at the end of line optional (Naveen Chawla)

T.J. Crowder tj.crowder at farsightsoftware.com
Wed Sep 13 15:21:43 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 3:52 PM, Aluan Haddad <aluanh at gmail.com> wrote:

> ...given the countless hours already wasted debating semicolon
> usage, and with the inherent complexity that this would add to
> tools like transpilers and minifiers, this would seem to add
> negative value.

^^ this. I've been trying to phrase it for a while now. Well put.

It's useful to remember that JavaScript engines are not the only consumers
of JavaScript source code. Linters, transpilers, syntax highlighters, code
introspection and refactoring tools, etc., etc., etc. -- they all have
their cages rattled by syntax changes. The more complex the syntax (and
this would have to be quite complex in a world of class fields, private
data, etc.), the more the cages are rattled.

Humans, too, are consumers of JavaScript source code. We're clever, but
adding to the cognitive load needs a good justification.

For me, the cost/benefit on this optional commas thing is just nowhere near
a sell.

-- T.J. Crowder