Lazy evaluation

Alex Kodat alexkodat at gmail.com
Wed Sep 13 13:32:08 UTC 2017

Also, FWIW,  since we’re talking about nanoseconds of performance, here, I think slightly better than:

    return this.#random || (this.#random = Math.random());

Is

    return (this.#random === undefined) ? this.#random = Math.random() : this.#random;

This is because in the former, the compiled code has to determine whether this.#random is coercible into a Boolean. At the very least, it has to do an "Is this an object and, if so, not undefined ==> true" test. From first principles, the ternary expression is going to be more efficient. It simply checks if the value at this.#random is the same as the global undefined value and, if not, returns that value. No extra tests necessary.

And at least with V8 theory == practice in this case (at least in all my tests). And yes, we're talking nanosecond here.

While this looks a bit like the null propagation operator would be applicable, it's really not.

Also FWIW, if you get tired of seeing/typing undefined, we add _ to the global object which means the above can be written as:

    return (this.#random === _) ? this.#random = Math.random() : this.#random;

You might think that this would perform worse than the undefined but, in fact, for V8 it's identical -- undefined and _ are both just properties of the global object. I think this reads especially well in function calls where you want an undefined placeholder

  fooey(_, "whatever");

Visually, _ just says undefined to me.

----
Alex Kodat