State of Decorators

Logan Smyth loganfsmyth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 21:01:44 UTC 2017

Keep in mind that the available implementations don't necessarily reflect
the state of the spec, and that they are maintained two independent groups.

None of the current implementations reflect the current state of the spec,
which has changed a lot over the last years. Babel for instance is also a
project maintained entirely by volunteers, and it's only in the last couple
months that someone has come forward with the time and energy available to
make progress on implementing the new version of the spec. Incidentally
this will also probably break all your existing code until new versions of
the decorators you use are written to support the new spec, so remember
that you're very much relying on an experimental feature.

As for supporting it in more places in the syntax, the more more places it
has to support, the more work that will have to be done. Keeping function
and such as things to be approached later means the current spec can
iterate more quickly. It's hard to both iterate quickly and also support a
broad feature set.