Observable GC

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Fri Oct 20 14:33:33 UTC 2017

For what it’s worth, I have never agreed with this policy. This policy seems to be based on feelings not facts.

I remember implementing real time GCs for Java, which changed GC timing and behavior a lot, and having zero problem getting that aspect of the GC to work well with existing code. It seems like we are using non-problems to make excuses to avoid supporting something useful.

In fact, WeakMap is more restrictive constraint on GC algo than weak refs or finalization or whatever, since it means that a Siebert-style fine-grained incremental GC with O(1) increments is off the table.

-Filip