Definition mixins

Raul-Sebastian Mihăilă raul.mihaila at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 18:18:48 UTC 2017

On Sat, Nov 18, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Bob Myers <rtm at gol.com> wrote:

> I'm a JS programmer with more decades of experience than I care to
> mention, and follow developments in language design closely. Frankly, I
> don't understand what you are trying to accomplish or why support for it
> needs to be in the language. I strongly doubt I'm the only one. Rather than
> spending your time tilting at TC39 windmills, I'd suggest a focus on
> putting together a library which implements your vision of mixins.

I explained thoroughly why it would be good for it to be in the language,
to the extent that I think you simply don't want to understand what I'm
trying to accomplish. It's a very useful and popular OO feature that was
attempted many times in user code and implementing it in the language
allows for better semantics and simpler syntax. In particular, user code
doesn't have access to the [[ScriptOrModule]] slot that I'm using in my
proposal. Also, having a standard version is better. Otherwise, you can
argue the same about many other things in the language.

Why would this be "tilting at TC39 windmills"? Esdiscuss is the right place
to discuss proposals and I think your stance is inappropriate. This is even
more surprising as TC39 is currently discussing a proposal that includes a
mixin mechanism.

We already started a conversation that you left suspended. Unfortunately
your second intervention isn't constructive either.