New Promise Syntax Proposal

Jonathan Barronville jonathan at belairlabs.com
Mon Nov 6 15:33:56 UTC 2017

>From the example provided, as someone who uses promises a lot, I’m not sure
I’m sold on the need for this either. Maybe you could provide some more
concrete examples, Jorge?

P.S. Proposals like this are why JavaScript should’ve been a LISP ;p …

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 10:28 AM, Isiah Meadows <isiahmeadows at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I'm not convinced of the need. Promises are already sufficient, and in
> general use, I rarely use the constructor outside of adapting
> callback-related code or other lower-level cases.
>
> Also, keep in mind, most such promise-returning functions do have
> arguments, which this proposal seems to miss.
>
> On Mon, Nov 6, 2017, 10:23 Jorge Téllez <novohispano at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I would like to propose a new syntax for promises for the next ECMAScript.
>>
>> It is common to define promises in the following way:
>>
>> function promiseFunction() {
>>   return new Promise(resolve, reject) {
>>     resolve(someValue);
>>   };
>> }
>>
>> In the previous example, I am declaring a function so that I can access
>> the promise throughout.
>>
>> I would like propose a simpler syntax to remove this redundancy:
>>
>> promise promiseFunction(resolve, reject) {
>>   resolve(someValue);
>> }
>>
>> This will make the promise declaration easier to read in a similar
>> fashion as the new class syntax made it easier to declare prototypes.
>>
>> __
>> Jorge Téllez
>> +52 1 81 2567 8257 <+52%201%2081%202567%208257>
>> @novohispano <http://twitter.com/novohispano>

- Jonathan

—

Life is a game and we’re all just high density pixels.