Proposal of Multithread JavaScript

Wes Garland wes at page.ca
Mon Mar 13 16:43:12 UTC 2017

If anybody wants to play with MT ES (I'm not saying I think this is a good
idea) -- you might want to dig up a ~ten-year old version of Spidermonkey,
perhaps the JS 1.7 release (MT "safety" broke with Array Extras).   Then
add this code, which implements a basic Thread class:
https://github.com/wesgarland/gpsee/blob/master/modules/thread/
(hopefully that code builds without too much effort.......I stopped using
it as soon as it was finished, I did not find the paradigm useful in my
work).

The result is lock-free property access (anarchy!) on a global object
shared across operating system threads.

You might be able to then prototype a smarter API in ES3 and see how you
like it.

I think you might also be able to try similar experiments with Rhino using
Java threads.

Wes

On 13 March 2017 at 00:19, Isiah Meadows <isiahmeadows at gmail.com> wrote:

> For prior discussion on a fairly similar concept, see my proposal [1]
> and related thread [2].
>
> [1]: https://gist.github.com/isiahmeadows/a01799b4dc9019c55dfcd809450afd24
> [2]: https://esdiscuss.org/topic/module-based-parallel-js-strawman
> -----
>
> Isiah Meadows
> me at isiahmeadows.com
>

> On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 10:14 PM, /#!/JoePea <joe at trusktr.io> wrote:
> >
> > On Sun, Mar 12, 2017 at 7:11 PM, /#!/JoePea <joe at trusktr.io> wrote:
> >>
> >> Leo's idea that JavaScript code as it is today won't be impacted when
> >> async functions are run in separate threads is interesting.
> >

> > I meant, "Leo's idea that JavaScript code as it is today can work exactly
> > the same (f.e. async functions) while behind the scenes be threaded
> without
> > impacting end JS-devs is interesting."
> >

> > /#!/JoePea

Wesley W. Garland