Feedback on Iterable Numbers Proposal?

liorean liorean at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 23:05:16 UTC 2017

> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 7:40 PM, kdex <kdex at kdex.de> wrote:
>> On that note, it might make more sense to add range literals.

On 26 February 2017 at 20:50, T.J. Crowder
<tj.crowder at farsightsoftware.com> wrote:
> That was my thought as well -- or at least, ranges if not range literals. (A
> simple `Range` is trivial to implement, but I'd rather see something
> ubiquitous.) I don't see any active, inactive, stage 0, or finished
> proposals for ranges (they have been discussed:
> https://esdiscuss.org/topic/ranges).
>
> John, to my mind it'd be great to see this same great level of
> attention-to-detail, research, etc., devoted to ranges. I think iterable
> numbers would be too limited to be all that useful (although a subset of
> your proposal would be really simple to add). But I'm just a random guy on
> the list, no idea if the people who actually matter would be interested in a
> range proposal. Ranges have been put to good use in other
> languages/environments (some mentioned in your proposal), so...

I'd like to bring us back a decade for a while:

Lars T Hansen 2007/07/16 13:33
>Multi-dimensional arrays
>
>Consider matrices of floating-point numbers, which we can type as [][double], allocate using x = new [][double](5,8), and dereference as x[1][5]. We can extract subarrays using x[2:4][1:3], maybe (creating a 2×2 matrix). This should not be important for ES4 but it might be important to make sure we can consider it for ES5, somehow.

And https://web.archive.org/web/20160425221208/http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=discussion:slice_syntax

The combining of these two features would be a match made in heaven,
and be able to provide Ranges.
--
David "liorean" Andersson