LR(1) grammar/parser and lookahead-restrictions

Dmitry Soshnikov dmitry.soshnikov at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:23:47 UTC 2017

One yet has to check the pure ES6+ grammar to be LR(1) compatible (the
Cover grammar with nodes reinterpretations makes it harder), but for a very
practical use-case, e.g. combined with Flow, it'll not be easy to have an
automated parser (since Flow's parser uses backtracking for some edge cases
which is already not LR-parser).

I have some subset of ES6 working as an example language for Syntax tool[1]
(since I just took a bunch of productions from JS), but I haven't tried the
full ES6 grammar (not having time to work on this project, since it'll be
not a straightforward process of just matching the grammar 1:1 to the
parser generator -- based on the above reasons).

Long time ago I also had a brief discussion with authors of another popular
parser generators for JS. Both didn't try it as well, but mentioned that
even for ES5 it was hard to parse e.g. regexp, etc.

Someone (with enough time for the project) should just sit, and spend some
time actually porting the grammar from the spec on some powerful parsers
generator.

[1] Syntax: https://github.com/DmitrySoshnikov/syntax
[2] https://twitter.com/DmitrySoshnikov/status/666327209959751680