Allow any quoted string to be multiline?

J Decker d3ck0r at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 09:47:30 UTC 2017

On Mon, Dec 18, 2017 at 3:08 AM, Claude Pache <claude.pache at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Le 17 déc. 2017 à 22:03, J Decker <d3ck0r at gmail.com> a écrit :
> >
> > I do see there are work-arounds (similar as using a hammer to put in a
> screw)
> >
> > I don't see a reason for why not allow multiline strings for other quote
> types.  I know... because people want more errors and to have their hand
> held to identify missing close quotes?  much like the desire to add types
> and type checking.
>
> Yes, you gave a valid reason just after having said you didn’t see a
> reason: transforming bugs (missing quote) into early errors, so that it is
> easier to debug...
>
> The obvious workaround, i.e. using a template literal without placeholder,
> doesn’t seems too heavy-weight; on the contrary, it is probably the
> lightest one can imagine.

It's not actually :) lightest I can imagine is to allow single and double
quoted strings to be multiline also.
I was considering this because of an issue on my extended json parser.
during development it simplified the code making a single path for
gathering a string that only had to check for closing quote or backslash.
having to test for 4 more characters was then 3x the work... so I just cut
out the extra work, since it break anything.  The only thing left was ...
that it didn't break anything if a newline was found.

So I figured I'd mention the possibility here and see how much push back I
got.  I don't actually think that 'protection from bad coding' is a very
strong argument.  there's lots of single character omissions or insertions
that can cause ghosted errors that aren't nearly so obvious.  Especially
since syntax highlighting would show a overflowing string very quickly
(more than missing a + in += or having a +  on an = that you didn't mean
for instance).  It would be a change that would take some time to propagate
to a lot of tools; but is a change that's entirely backward compatible and
breaks nothing from the past.