Allow any quoted string to be multiline?

Claude Pache claude.pache at gmail.com
Mon Dec 18 09:08:36 UTC 2017

> Le 17 déc. 2017 à 22:03, J Decker <d3ck0r at gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> I do see there are work-arounds (similar as using a hammer to put in a screw)
>
> I don't see a reason for why not allow multiline strings for other quote types.  I know... because people want more errors and to have their hand held to identify missing close quotes?  much like the desire to add types and type checking.

Yes, you gave a valid reason just after having said you didn’t see a reason: transforming bugs (missing quote) into early errors, so that it is easier to debug...

The obvious workaround, i.e. using a template literal without placeholder, doesn’t seems too heavy-weight; on the contrary, it is probably the lightest one can imagine.

—Claude