import { foo, bar } as obj from 'module

Giancarlo Anemone ganemone at gmail.com
Wed Dec 13 06:52:48 UTC 2017

Kai, I believe you are confusing classes with modules. A module can have
many exports. For example, you could export 5 different classes from a
single module. If you only import one of those classes, tree shaking
ensures you don't include the other 4 unused Classes.

I think what you might be referring to is that tree shaking can't eliminate
methods on a class that are potentially not called by a user. However that
by no means makes tree shaking not valuable even when using libraries that
export classes.

Finally, in my personal experience the amount of performance improvements
you can make from dead code elimination are far from negligible. Of course
it depends on many factors, but it is an incredibly useful feature.