Are objects values?
bjouhier at gmail.com
Sat Aug 19 23:04:38 UTC 2017
FWIW I wrote a dissertation on this very topic a few years ago:
- Expressions have a sense and a denotation.
- The sense of an expression accounts for its “cognitive significance”
- The denotation of an expression is the thing that the expression
- Two expressions may have different senses but the same denotation.
- A variable expression is an expression that takes different
denotations over time.
- A constant expression is an expression that always has the same
- *An object is a mutable denotation.*
- *A value is an immutable denotation.*
- Objects have an identity which is immutable.
- Objects have a mutable state.
- Numbers and physical quantities are values.
- Dates and timestamps are values.
- Booleans are values.
- Characters and strings are values.
- Sets are values.
- A representation is an object that represents an object or a value.
- An expression is a value that denotes an object or a value.
- The value of an object is its identity.
- Values are symbolic and don’t exist in the real world.
- Objects are usually real, but not always.
This was not written in the context of a specific programming language,
are objects in JS.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the es-discuss