Extended dot notation (pick notation) proposal

Matthew Robb matthewwrobb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 17:33:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Sep 21, 2016 at 10:40 AM, Jason Orendorff <jason.orendorff at gmail.com
> wrote:

> Since all new syntax imposes some mental load on all language users, the
> answer should be no unless the benefit is really dramatic, which I don't
> think it is here.

For the most part I can completely agree with the sentiment that all new
syntax imposes some mental load on all language users but my question is
how this applies when syntax RESTRICTIONS that seem counter-intuitive
impose their OWN mental load.

I think the inspiration of this thread and the few before it comes from the
fact that destructuring syntax and object literal shorthand syntax seem to
share in a root syntax yet the two features are incompatible which makes
the mental load of the restrictions more obvious.

- Matthew Robb