ES8 Proposal: Optional Static Typing

Isiah Meadows isiahmeadows at gmail.com
Wed Sep 28 23:39:36 UTC 2016

I'm just an observer who occasionally contributes to this list, but I don't
see static types making it into ES any time soon.

First, no type checker (TypeScript, Flow, or any other) can fully check the
core language (most notably `bind`,  `apply`, `call`,  and
`Object.assign`).

Second, they both still are missing some pretty significant features
required for typing common JavaScript idioms (higher kinded types for
Fantasy Land and Ramda users, variadic generics for `bind`, `call`, and
`apply`, n-ary unions for `Object.assign` and similar, etc.).

Third, I'd rather it remain just an extension to the language, maintained
independently. Research on types is still very active, since it's a very
young field. It's still a work in progress on how to best type otherwise
dynamic languages. It may be plausible in the future to go Python's route
and allow for a particular syntax without mandating it have semantic
implications, but I feel even that's likely years off.