Proposal of Multithread JavaScript

Wes Garland wes at page.ca
Thu Nov 3 19:09:17 UTC 2016

There is no requirement for a host environment to use any kind of
serialization for worker threads.  It's completely fine to pass messages
which are binary in nature.  In fact, I have  passed C structs as messages
between JavaScript workers.

I don't know why you think this is a fight.  You should understand that you
are proposing a very, very, very significant modification of the ES
standard and you have not yet defined a problem which this work would solve.

Wes

On 3 November 2016 at 14:19, Leo Dutra <leodutra.br at gmail.com> wrote:

> Workers need serialization, threads would not.
>
> In Node, lack of threading requires a prior spawn of a bunch of native
> processes and manually build a tasking pool.
>
> Web Workers spawn a specific script (if you respawn the caller you are
> doing dirty job).
>
> Maybe we should fork projects like the one Isiah brought to us and
> headbang compiling it with the lovely gyp.
>
> So much emotion. Much doge work. So delicious.
>
> You could simply spawn a thread in almost the same way we use Node
> streams...
>
> but I won't fight 10 guys alone.

Wesley W. Garland
Director, Product Development