Conditional object properties

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at mit.edu
Wed Nov 2 14:32:55 UTC 2016

On 11/2/16 9:04 AM, kdex wrote:
> I'd imagine that from an engine point of view, this means that fewer
> object shapes land in memory, at least for v8.

I'm pretty sure it means nothing of the sort in SpiderMonkey (in terms
of memory usage, not in terms of object shapes that flow through
subsequent shape guards), for what it's worth.  I'm not sure it's worth
adding things to the standard just to work around implementation quirks
of a specific implementation.

No opinion on the ergonomics argument.

> Reducing the number of object shapes currently boils down to using an
> object literal and setting the properties to `value || null` instead of
> extending the object with new properties imperatively.

This actually creates _more_ object shapes in SpiderMonkey, I believe,
though fewer shapes that flow through code locations.  So it depends on
whether you're trying to optimize memory usage or performance.  And of
course on whether you're tuning to a particular engine's current
implementation strategy...

-Boris