A plan to help TC39 become more open up to community contributions and participations

G. Kay Lee balancetraveller+es-discuss at gmail.com
Sat May 28 03:10:58 UTC 2016

@John @Michał

ES6 expanded the language greatly indeed, but the expansion is incomplete
with lots of glaring holes.

I happen to be researching into the crazily deficient Map/Set APIs recently
as well, and found a few documents - only from 1.5 years ago but apparently
are quickly falling out of people's memories - that hold the answer:

https://esdiscuss.org/topic/map-filter-map-and-more
https://esdiscuss.org/notes/2014-11-19
https://esdiscuss.org/notes/2014-11/Map.prototype-extensions.pdf

We wanted a generic Iterator prototype but (again) we didn't have the time,
so we just left a giant hole in there without a timeline on patching it,
and everyone who'd like to use Map for collections now have no choice but
to turn to some 3rd party solutions like Immutable.js - which totally
replaced ES6 Map/Set implementations with its own. This is kinda ridiculous
honestly.

I think with enough community involvement being enabled, we can see some
positive changes such as information on why some previous proposal has been
turned down can become more transparent and organized; the need of some
essential, hole-patching proposals can become more apparent with a clear
direction, and potentially see some good ones from the community. Again
**due to Ecma International's IPR policies**, we need a community member
inside TC39 itself to enable this possibility.