A plan to help TC39 become more open up to community contributions and participations

Michał Wadas michalwadas at gmail.com
Fri May 27 15:50:51 UTC 2016

To be honest - I can rather see complaining about how small is the standard
library, and how many basic functions have to be provided by third party,
not by standard library (famous left-pad case).

And I think these complaints are right and justified - newly introduced
classes like Set are painfully limited. We don't have a set.filter method,
.map method, .intersect method, .union method, .difference method -
everything have to be reimplemented by every developer.

How long we had to wait for Object.entries? How long we will have to wait
for someone to propose Object.fromEntries? Tuples, named tuples, counters,
functional Date, deque, cryptography primitives, advanced marshalling,
parallelism,  structs, UUUIDs, weak references - all these basic
functionalities are lacking in JavaScript... And these are not an "ultra
high level" functions, but rather a basic building blocks.

Yesterday I have think about idea of "official staging library" - a set of
modules that are staging for inclusion in the official specification.
Faster release cycles, better feedback, community-driven, better
implementation, lesser worry about backward compatibility. If some feature
is getting a positive feedback from community it becomes part of the next
standard.