AND and OR in if statement

kdex kdex at kdex.de
Wed May 25 01:29:24 UTC 2016

Could you explain how your second example is cleaner? All I see is that it's longer; the rest is merely a matter of taste.
JavaScript's syntax was, amongst others, heavily influenced by C-family languages (which went for `&&` and `||` as well as `&` and `|`).

Next, I think it's confusing that, although we're calling it "bitwise and" and "bitwise or", we would only be able to write `and` or `or` in a logical context; this choice is entirely arbitrary. Bitwise operators would still need to be `&` and `|` since there's no way to tell what your intent is just from the syntax.

IMHO, the current operators `&&`, `&`, `||` ,`|` are the cleanest implementation of `and` and `or` that I could think of.