ECMA-402 DefaultLocale

Geoffrey Garen ggaren at apple.com
Mon May 23 20:46:51 UTC 2016

Hi folks.

ECMA-402 lists default locale as an unspecified "implementation dependent behaviour”.

In the absence of a specified default locale behavior, can we agree to a de facto or best effort behavior to match the OS’s or browser’s locale and language settings?

We’d like Safari and WebKit to honor the OS's locale and language settings so that language, time, date, currency, etc. present just as well in web content as they do in native apps. You can see the approach we took here:

	<http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/Source/WTF/wtf/PlatformUserPreferredLanguagesMac.mm>

Regards,
Geoff