Has there been any discussions around standardizing socket or file io usage?

Kris Siegel krissiegel at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 04:44:07 UTC 2016

I didn't see this in the archives but I was curious if any consideration
has been given for standardizing on features more commonly found in most
other language's standard library.

For example reading and writing to sockets in JavaScript requires platform
specific libraries and works very differently between them. The same goes
for file io (which would obviously need restrictions when run in, say, a
web browser).

Building these in would make JavaScript more universal and easier to learn
(you learn one way to access a resource instead of 2 or 3 very different
ways).

I would be happy to work on a proposal for such changes if they were
desired by the community. Thoughts?

- Kris