Process of proposing targeted deconstruction

Renki Ivanko fatalis.erratum at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 15:18:01 UTC 2016

It's wishful thinking to say that ES7 isn't in common use; there's not much
reason for it to be less common than ES6. ES2016 still has the same
problems as ES2015: 6 characters means it barely counts as an abbreviation;
bigger numbers are not good for humans; the last digit being off by one
from the edition number is naturally confusing, and there isn't even a
particularly good reason for the new name to exist, because it just
communicates the release schedule. The previously established nomenclature
also isn't going away because ES3 and ES5 are still officially called that.
ES2016 will keep being referred to as "ES2016 (ES7)", because that's the
easiest way to explain how it fits into the release history, and it'll stay
reminder of the hubris of a technical committee dabbling in marketing.