String.prototype.padLeft / String.prototype.padRight

Jordan Harband ljharb at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 06:29:52 UTC 2016

The time for that kind of change has long past - and the current use cases
for multi-char fill strings work with the current methods. I'll repeat - "The
consensus remained the same around treatment of code units - which is that,
like every other string method, they should conform to the native encoding
of strings in the language." - in other words, there's no "problem" with
supplementary characters that needs fixing, at least at the granularity
level of "specific API methods".