Weak Reference proposal

John Lenz concavelenz at gmail.com
Fri Feb 19 06:42:23 UTC 2016

This seems like a very solid proposal.  I like that the finalizers run on
their own turn (it had to be that way in retrospect).

I'm unclear about one thing: the reasoning for not running finalizers when
weak-references them become unreferenced.  Did I misunderstand this?
Doesn't this force he "hard" reference to also a soft reference "weak
reference" to insure that finalizer run (such as closing a file, etc)?  If
aren't concerned about non-memory resources is there any point to having
holding at all?