JavaScript Language feature Idea

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Tue Apr 19 15:41:11 UTC 2016

> On Apr 19, 2016, at 1:40 AM, Jordan Harband <ljharb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think Array#get/Array#set are the most reasonable suggestions offered so far, but I don't think the added value will be enough to convince the committee that it's worth adding to the already large API surface of the language - and the asymmetry with the similar methods on `Map`/`Set` would be problematic (note that `Set#get(-1)` does not retrieve the last item in the set, for example).

A different approach that addresses a broader set of use cases is described in http://web.archive.org/web/20141230040303/http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:object_model_reformation <http://web.archive.org/web/20141230040303/http://wiki.ecmascript.org/doku.php?id=strawman:object_model_reformation>

Of course, that proposal is quite out of date (“private names” instead of Symbols, etc.) and would require some significant updating to the current state of the language.

Allen