Death Before Confusion (was: [whatwg] Handling out of memory issues with getImageData/createImageData)

Filip Pizlo fpizlo at apple.com
Mon Sep 28 06:06:05 UTC 2015

I don't think that prevents a caller from adversarially injecting - and then catching - faults into a callee in such a way that the caller can control which part of the callee runs and which part doesn't. The ability to catch the fault is what causes the security issues, since the caller can keep running even when the callee was forced to give up.

Being able to detect and act upon low memory conditions is helpful in other ways, but I don't think it prevents the bad scenario from happening.

-Filip