Global lexical tier

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Thu Sep 3 21:50:57 UTC 2015

On Sep 3, 2015, at 2:30 PM, Brendan Eich wrote:

>> \
>
> Global script is global, though. I don't see how you can have
>
> <script>
>  class Widget {...}
> </script>
> <script>
>  let w = new Widget();
> </script>
>
> fail for want of an extra step to export Widget from the first script and import it into the second. Modules, sure, but scripts aren't modules.

Yes, that  was the objection.  But a (reasonable?) workaround might have been:

<script>
var Widget  = class {...}
</script>

> Anyway, we indeed seek consensus and give up our favorites, saving them for told-you-so moments later ;-).
>
>> but consensus on something was necessary in order to have publish a standard.
>
> Yep. But this is es-discuss, so fair to discuss (and rehash every year :-P), and what's more: implementor feedback is way overdue. That's what Jason is bringing to us, we need to attend to it.
>
> ES6 took a lot of risk running ahead of any implementor. Last time, we promise, eh?

Fingers crossed.  Implementors have to step-up and take the risk of implementing "big" features before final standardization. We seem to be making some progress there with async functions and simd.

Alen