String.prototype.padLeft / String.prototype.padRight

Jordan Harband ljharb at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 21:07:41 UTC 2015

In the TC39 meeting today, we discussed these concerns and decided to
rename the proposal from padLeft/padRight to padStart/padEnd (
https://github.com/tc39/proposal-string-pad-start-end/commit/35f1ef676f692bfc1099f9ed7c123bd2146f9294)
- and correspondingly, to investigate providing trimStart/trimEnd
(alongside the legacy trimLeft/trimRight). The consensus remained the same
around treatment of code units - which is that, like every other string
method, they should conform to the native encoding of strings in the
language.

As such, the proposal has now been approved for stage 3 in the TC39 process.

Thanks everyone for providing your input!

- Jordan