resolve()/reject() on Promise subclasses and @@species

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at mit.edu
Thu Nov 5 03:59:51 UTC 2015

On 11/4/15 10:29 PM, C. Scott Ananian wrote:
> Again, the reasoning at the time was that `Promise.all(x)` could be
> considered sugar for `Promise.resolve(x).all()` in ES7, and so
> `Promise.all` was "really" an instance method after all.

OK, but note that the behavior of the two is different (or at least the
behavior of @@species is different between Promise.prototype.then and
Promise.all).  Specifically if I have:

   class MyPromise extends Promise {
     static get [Symbol.species]() { return undefined; }
   }

then MyPromise.all() will return a MyPromise but
MyPromise.resolve(x).then() will return a Promise, because
SpeciesConstructor falls back to "defaultConstructor", not "C", if
Get(@@species) returns null-or-undefined, while Promise.all()/race()
fall back to "C".

> I'm just saying it wasn't totally crazy, and no one
> made any objection at the time.

Sure.  Also, no one has implemented any of this stuff yet.  ;)  I was
just implementing it and was confused by the various inconsistencies.  I
can implement it as written, of course, but I wanted to double-check
that I wasn't misunderstanding something.

-Boris