An update on Object.observe

Andreas Rossberg rossberg at google.com
Tue Nov 3 14:29:47 UTC 2015

On 3 November 2015 at 14:58, David Bruant <bruant.d at gmail.com> wrote:
> Le 03/11/2015 12:26, Alexander Jones a écrit :
>>
>> In my opinion, the fundamental record type we build our JS on should be
>> getting dumber, not smarter. It feels inappropriate to be piling more
>> difficult-to-reason-about mechanismson top before reeling in exotic host
>> objects.

JS objects have never been simple. Since at least ES5, which
officially added accessors, attribute reflection, and irregular
inheritance rules, the last illusion of simplicity has been eternally
lost. But before that there already were various quirks and hidden
complexities.

>> With Proxy out of the bag, I'm not so hopeful for the humble Object
>> anymore.
>
> This is a surprising statement. By exposing the low-level object API as
> userlang API (proxy traps + Reflect API), proxies make the low-level object
> API subject to the same backward-compat constraints as every other API.
> If nothing else, the very existence of proxies puts an end to the evolution
> of the object model.

There is no end to evolution. The object model will grow more
features, like private properties, which are orthogonal to proxies.

/Andreas