An update on Object.observe

David Bruant bruant.d at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 13:58:17 UTC 2015

Hi,

Le 03/11/2015 12:26, Alexander Jones a écrit :
> In my opinion, the fundamental record type we build our JS on should
> be getting dumber, not smarter. It feels inappropriate to be piling
> more difficult-to-reason-about mechanismson top before reeling in
> exotic host objects.
JS objects were never only the record you're talking about. They were
also used for OOP (used as dynamic this values if one property was a
function and called after a dot).
And DOM objects also exposed things that did not have equivalent in ES
objects (aside from the easy "host objects" escape), so the language
needed to catch up (as it did in ES5) despite having to be more
difficult to reason about.

Immutable data structures might be what you're looking for though
https://github.com/sebmarkbage/ecmascript-immutable-data-structures

> With Proxy out of the bag, I'm not so hopeful for the humble Object
> anymore.
This is a surprising statement. By exposing the low-level object API as
userlang API (proxy traps + Reflect API), proxies make the low-level
object API subject to the same backward-compat constraints as every
other API.
If nothing else, the very existence of proxies puts an end to the
evolution of the object model.

David