`of` operator ES7 proposal from Ian Bicking

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Mon Mar 30 20:52:07 UTC 2015

Frankie Bagnardi wrote:

>     First, you shouldn’t assume this would be based on the
>     Symbol.iterator protocol.
>
> Would |Object.create(null, {[Symbol.iterator]: value: ...})| work as
> it does in for..of?

No, as with instanceof and @@hasInstance in general, you wouldn't get
membership test for free.

But unlike instanceof, you wouldn't get common case behavior for free
either, so that's the downside. You'd have to provide a value such as
Array#includes for the property named by Symbol.hasElement (or whatever
the best name analogous to @@hasInstance is).

> It seems like the main problem would be infinite sequences. That means
> either infinite loops (ugh), or the language/user setting an arbitrary
> number of max values to check (ew).

Neither.

> If I do have an arbitrary iterable, I need to easily create something
> I can pass to for..of with |if (x of fn(xs))| where fn is provided by
> ecmascript.

You'd need to implement a separate MOP hook, let's call it @@hasElement
for now.