Supporting feature tests directly

James Kyle me at thejameskyle.com
Wed Mar 25 21:03:44 UTC 2015

It's not that it's imperfect. It's that it's useless in the real world.

We can already do shallow testing of APIs. Reflect.support doesn't help there, and in some ways (that I've outlined before) it is a regression.

```

if (!Array.prototype.includes) { ... }

if (!Reflect.supports("Array.prototype.includes")) { ... }

```

You also wouldn't do testing of syntax support at runtime, as you would effectively be duplicating the code.

```

var myFunc;

if (Reflect.supports("TCO")) {

  myFunc = recursiveImplementation;

} else {

  myFunc = nonRecursiveImplementation;

  // Why duplicate? You'd be saving yourself a lot of hassle by just transpiling to this

}

```

What's the alternative? To send down a file that tests for support and then sends it back to the server and then build the appropriate assets for that browser?

No, that'd be absurdly slow, and now you've already delegated to using a build tool.

- James Kyle