Maximally minimal stack trace standardization

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Mar 12 04:01:44 UTC 2015

John Lenz wrote:

>     b) It differs so wildly between platforms that cross-web content
>     can't rely on it.
>

> It exists everywhere and from where I sit it is pretty essential and
> there is lot of wiring that exist to propagate and preserve stack traces.

Yeah, I'd be careful concluding too much from the format differeing.
Libraries such as Mark's can cope, and have. So it may be a
browser-specific de-facto standard of sorts. We could still do better by
leaving it unspecified, because it's browser-specific, and providing a
cross-browser, well-designed and -tested de-jure alternative. Is that a
static Error.getStack(e) method?