Move es-discuss to discuss.webplatform.org?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Tue Jun 23 01:17:34 UTC 2015

Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

>> On Jun 22, 2015, at 12:51 PM, C. Scott Ananian <ecmascript at cscott.net
>> <mailto:ecmascript at cscott.net>> wrote:
>>
>> It's not too surprising: it's the same reason why the ES6 spec was
>> just published *on paper*, with the html version being explicitly
>> flagged as non-normative.
>>

> Actually the above is not correct.  Both the HTML and PDF renderings
> are generated from the same normative source document.  Both rendering
> are considered normative by  Ecma International.
>
> What the HtML version <http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/6.0/>
> says is:
>
>     "The PDF version is the definitive specification. Any
>     discrepancies between this HTML rendering and the PDF rendering
>     are unintentional."
>

> That text is there be make it clear how disputes should be resolved in
> anybody thinks the two rendering disagree on any point. They don’, but
> just in case somebody wants to start a fight we have predetermined the
> outcome.

I guess C. Scott's point is more about email being decades older than
Discourse (or other server-side/proprietary discussion software).

OTOH I know people (dherman, cough) who can't hack the email load of
es-discuss, and do not like the well-known email tendency to have
threads run off the rails into endless digression and argumentation.

But Arv's point about gmail mute feature is good. I think any competent
email reader should have that.

If not, does Discourse support email as a first-class subscription
mechanism? That (plus mute) might help.