Move es-discuss to discuss.webplatform.org?

Greg McLeod cleod9 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 16:38:25 UTC 2015

> On Fri, Jun 19, 2015 at 5:04 PM, Axel Rauschmayer <axel at rauschma.de>
> wrote:
> http://discourse.specifiction.org/t/upcoming-migration/805
>
> Would it make sense to move es-discuss to that upcoming site? I’m not
> particularly fond of mailing lists and much prefer forums, especially
> discourse-based ones.

I actually asked myself the question a few weeks ago of why this discussion
has to take place over a mailing list. My original guess was that it's
because most people in the group have grown comfortable with it, and don't
see a need for it to change. That happens to be sort of the vibe I'm
getting from this thread so far too. I also imagine the sense of
exclusivity is kind of nice, since mailing lists aren't something that are
always publicly available (though we do have the es-discuss public site
which aggregates everything in this case)

Anyway, before anyone shuts this down completely, I do think it would be
worth considering using another platform to facilitate better discussion,
but it doesn't necessarily have to be the one put forth in this thread. My
motivation for migrating the discussion (if I were to push for it) would be
about fostering a more open conversation about these topics, and I've
always felt that web forums do a great job of this. But not all forums
support a user-friendly way to subscribe/respond to threads via email, so
I'm not sure if maybe someone else here has an experience with a similar
platform that can give better reasons to switch. I think it would be nice
to have a more organized platform for discussion to help isolate some of
the lower level engine/grammar topics from the higher level syntax and
such. I know some of you have been saying we could do this on our own
anyway outside of this list, but it couldn't be in any official capacity
without TC39 behind it, so I'd anticipate a lot of the conversation being
for naught.