The Tragedy of the Common Lisp, or, Why Large Languages Explode (was: revive let blocks)

Domenic Denicola d at domenic.me
Fri Jun 19 19:15:52 UTC 2015

From: es-discuss [mailto:es-discuss-bounces at mozilla.org] On Behalf Of Kevin Smith

> I think the yearly release plan encourages too much "feature racing".

I would state it somewhat differently. I think it encourages too much "feature marketing". That is, there are a number of complicated proposals which are often presented at conferences as "ES7" (or named as such by Babel). In reality, very few proposals are likely to make it to stage 4 ( = two tests-passing shipping implementations) in the relatively few months we have left. People are marketing their feature as something that is racing toward the finish line, even though in reality it is far from it.

My expectation is that this will self-correct. I don't expect TC39 to be any less deliberate than usual; moderately complex features will take a couple years or more to bake. So, as the champions of those features get quickly embarrassed by watching the ES2016 spec (and probably the ES2017 spec) get published without their feature, they'll modulate their marketing to something more reasonable. Then it will feel less like a race and more like the deliberate process it always has been.