The Tragedy of the Common Lisp, or, Why Large Languages Explode (was: revive let blocks)

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Jun 18 16:22:48 UTC 2015

Good points, Mark.

There are two better ways forward that I see:

1. Separate forms and make them compose well. Instead of let (x=y){z}
and the grammatically unsound let (x=y)x*x from ES4, given let in ES6,
and do expressions in ES7, declare victory and use `do { let x = y; z }`.

2. Sweet.js (http://sweetjs.org/), hygienic macros for JS, with
syntax-case-strength matching and enforestation magic.
http://sweetjs.org/doc/main/sweet.html

We try to follow (1) in TC39. It is why we didn't rush the ?.
"null-soaking" operator in. I suspect that (2) deserves a look in about
a year, but welcome thoughts from Tim Disney et al (@natefaubion
@jlongster).