Template site objects and WeakMap

Benjamin Gruenbaum inglor at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:19:26 UTC 2015

> congratulations and THANK YOU! I learned something important reading your messages. The notion that we can preserve non-observability when making one thing a WeakMap iff we make all other WeakMaps be strong for those same objects is true, novel, and very surprising. I have been working on such concepts for decades and never come across anything like it.

I apologize, I understand the problem with a weak registry forcing observable garbage collection in user code - that's nice but isn't this always the case with references to objects when an object pool/flyweight is used?

Isn't this the same issue as `==` working on strings that have string objects interned but possibly GC'd (and precisely why Java never collects interned strings)?