Ideas on type hinting and named parameters

Mark Miller erights at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 17:46:22 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jun 10, 2015 at 8:59 AM, Jeff Morrison <lbljeffmo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Instead, the purpose of initializers outside of the constructor are to
> increase expressivity in a different sense than what I think you meant
> about constructor initialization: It allows initialization that isn't based
> on logic in the constructor to be visually and clearly separate from logic
> that is.

So let's put a visually distinct syntax *in* the constructor. The
constructor is no longer as-if a function in several ways already. In for a
penny, in for a pound.

> It is strictly less expressive for constructor-injected state patterns,

In case I was not clear, I am not for using the current
assignment-in-constructor to pun initializing in constructor, the way Java
does. Initialization and assignment should be distinct. Const private
instance fields must be initialized but must not be assigned to.

> but it is strictly more expressive for other patterns of initialization.

What do you have in mind?

>  I'm wary of adding syntax whose primary motivation is to express type
> constraints, when we haven't even defined (or proposed) what typing in JS
> means.

  Cheers,
  --MarkM