Float16Array

Sebastian Markbåge sebastian at calyptus.eu
Wed Jul 29 23:31:02 UTC 2015

On Wed, Jul 29, 2015 at 4:05 PM, Alexander Jones <alex at weej.com> wrote:

> In case it's not obvious, faster DMA and larger buffer/texture capacity
> vs. float32. Many applications benefit hugely from having floating point
> data but certainly do not need float32's range and precision - for those,
> half/float16 is a great choice.

It is not obvious exactly what part you're targeting. E.g. Is it texture
transfer over the network that is the biggest saving? Is it
transfer/conversion cost to GPU memory? Is it computational complexity in
the shader? Is it the fact that you can fit more data into GPU memory, i.e.
you run out of space later?

Just because it is in the OpenGL spec doesn't mean that it is actually
useful on modern hardware since implementations theoretically are free to
expand it to full float. Maybe they don't, I don't know. That's my question.

It also the open question, if this is used in practice? E.g. float64 for
SIMD was deemed as not important.

So, no, it is not obvious to some of us that are not continuously in this
world, and my question hasn't been answered. I think it is plausible and I
would like to help out, but we need to clarify exactly where this is a
benefit and why that benefit isn't going away.