JavaScript 2015?

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 17:10:55 PST 2015

btw, just to answer your picks, I think this ML and ECMA in general has
done a very good job last few years.

I've heard the "delivery, delivery, delivery" story before and I haven't
seen a single case where that translated into more quality as outcome.

The label behind the year-name convention is not convenient for anyone:

  1. books will look either older than they actually are or crystal-ball
oriented (at least for less familiar users eyes)
  2. for years we'll have to explain how to convert an ES version to the
year and why at the beginning this was not a year-based thing
  3. some year might be the alignment year where only one major feature
goes out but it goes out the right way ... how'd you explain that ES 20XX ?
  4. you mentioned ES 3.1 instead of ES5 ... that's just **good** ... if we
need intermediate changes why not, we have officially a 5.1 too I don't
remember anyone complaining there

Having major release forced on year basis feels far away from agile or
continuous integration principles, so yeah: year-name to define deadlines
is bad because of the year-label thing, and because of the concept behind.

We have numerous sites showing the current implementation status of current
specs or even future one ... it's already difficult to understand who
supports what, having "must release this year" versions out there will make
the scene look like a bingo.

This is probably just me playing the crystal-ball rant part but what
bothers me the most is that until today I've never heard about this new
trend/idea/decision.

I don't think I've missed notes or threads, if so, please point them out,
if not, please explain where these decisions come from if that's possible.
Maybe me or others could follow that channel too? Or maybe not, but it
would be nice to eventually know it.

Best Regards