JavaScript 2015?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Thu Jan 22 16:17:47 PST 2015

Andrea Giammarchi wrote:
> I really don't understand ...

I'm pretty sure you do understand -- you just don't like it.

The annual cycle may fail, but that would be "bad". If it works out, we
could still continue with ES6, 7, 8, etc.

I'm leery of revolutionary fanaticism of the kind that led the French
revolutionaries to invent new month names. Perhaps we're overreaching by
declaring ES2015 before we've even wrapped up ES6, never mind
implemented all of it in top browsers! You could be calling b.s. on
this, please tell me if I'm "warm".

Anyway, I agree "ES6" is out there. I cited kangax.github.io, and of
course you're right, there are other sites and tutorials. The ES5/6/...
pattern won't go away over night, no matter what bloody revolutionaries
try to enact :-|.

This should keep everyone from charging ahead with renaming right now.
We need to socialize the annuals idea more, and actually hit the
schedule. At that point we *will* have ES6 = ES2015, ES7 = (probably)
2016, etc. -- twice the number of names to keep straight.