JavaScript 2015?

Andrea Giammarchi andrea.giammarchi at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 16:11:35 PST 2015

I really don't understand ...

Draft
ECMA-262
6th Edition
https://people.mozilla.org/~jorendorff/es6-draft.html

ECMAScript 6 support in Mozilla
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/New_in_JavaScript/ECMAScript_6_support_in_Mozilla

ES6 Rocks
http://es6rocks.com/

Books already published, years of blog-posts all over the internet
educating developers about ES6 features. A clear deadline in terms of
features instead of year since by the end of 2015 I am pretty sure no
engine will be fully spec-compliant with the spec.

What is this new "back to year-versioning" approach?

Why suddenly we need a full new release each year when it took 15 years to
have full ES3 support from all vendors?

This feels like Adobe and the AS1 to AS3 era, the one that lost most
developers due inability to catch up with anything and confusion across
just specs.

And that was a single "vendor" proposing new features for its language, I
cannot imagine where this is going.

/rant

Best Regards