Backward running version look-behinds

Nozomu Katō noz.ka at akenotsuki.com
Fri Dec 11 21:16:00 UTC 2015

I wonder if the person who wrote the spec for RegExp is on this list. I
would like to ask one question: Was there any reason why the following
steps were defined in the present order:

21.2.2.4 Alternative
  The production Alternative :: Alternative Term evaluates as follows:
  1. Evaluate Alternative to obtain a Matcher m1.
  2. Evaluate Term to obtain a Matcher m2.

instead of:

  The production Alternative :: Term Alternative evaluates as follows:
  1. Evaluate Term to obtain a Matcher m1.
  2. Evaluate Alternative to obtain a Matcher m2.

or, was it a matter of preference? If any side effect I am missing
exists in the latter order, I need to reconsider or abandon my compact
version.

Nozomu