tooling: HTML & ecmarkup versions of the spec

Michael Dyck jmdyck at ibiblio.org
Tue Aug 11 01:03:58 UTC 2015

On 15-08-10 03:14 PM, Allen Wirfs-Brock wrote:

> There is also now a bugzilla component for ticketing rendering bugs in
> the HTML version of the ES6 spec:
> https://bugs.ecmascript.org/buglist.cgi?product=ECMA-262%20Edition%206&component=html%20rendering%20issues&resolution=---
> I encourage anybody who sees glitches in the HTML version to report the
> bugs there.

While converting the HTML spec into ecmarkup, I found roughly 100 glitches
(depending on what and how you count), but I'm disinclined to report them,
given that:
(a) like I said, I'm doubtful that es-spec-html will ever be used again, and
(b) if it is, I'd supposedly be the one fixing it, so creating bugzilla
entries would just be making extra work for myself.

If, instead, the next spec is generated from the ecmarkup doc, then all
those glitches are already fixed.

> Of course, what we really want is for the post-HTML to only negligibly
> differ from the PDF (which is the definitive version).

Indeed, but I think it'd be tough to come up with an automated means of
usefully reporting the differences between the two. Any ideas?

I have an XML version of the ES6 spec that I derived from the official PDF,
so I have plans to convert *that* into ecmarkup, as another check, this one
independent of the docx+es-spec-html path.

-Michael