tooling: HTML & ecmarkup versions of the spec

Allen Wirfs-Brock allen at wirfs-brock.com
Mon Aug 10 19:14:39 UTC 2015

On Aug 7, 2015, at 9:03 PM, Michael Dyck wrote:

> In the minutes for July 28, Rick Waldron wrote:
>>
>> ## 9 Tooling Updates
>>
>> Ecmarkup (Emu)
>>
>> - [...]
>> - Michael Dyck now maintaining es-spec-html, working on high-fidelity emu output
>> - [...]
>
> To clarify...
>
> Back in mid-April, I volunteered to maintain the HTML version of the ES
> spec, taking over from Jason Orendorff. At the time, I knew about ecmarkup,
> but there was some uncertainty (at least from my vantage point) about how
> soon it might be used to maintain the spec. So there was seme possibility
> that the next version of the ES spec might be prepared in MS Word, and thus
> that Jason's es-spec-html converter would be used to create the HTML
> version. However, the likelihood of that possibility seemed to decline
> fairly soon thereafter. I'm not sure it's at zero yet, but it seems pretty
> close.
>
> So, no, I haven't done any maintenance on es-spec-html, and I don't expect
> I'll do any unless there's a good chance that it'll actually be used again.

Note that I made a number of significant changes to "es-spec-html" converter in order to create the official release version of the ES6 spec (http://ecma-international.org/ecma-262/6.0/).  These changes brought the formatting of the HTML version much closer to alignment to the  PDF version.  The update dated "es-spec-html" is included in the repository https://github.com/tc39/ecma262-6-src

Note that in addition to making changes to the python program and the css I also added some new styles to the Word source document that the converter now explicitly keys off of.  Jason had previously avoided asking for changes to the Word doc, but that really was unnecessary.  Some things are simply much easier to convert if they are explicit tagged using the styles in the Word source.

There is also now a bugzilla component for ticketing rendering bugs in the HTML version of the ES6 spec: https://bugs.ecmascript.org/buglist.cgi?product=ECMA-262%20Edition%206&component=html%20rendering%20issues&resolution=---  I encourage anybody who sees glitches in the HTML version to report the bugs there.

Whether ES2016 will be based off of the Word source will ultimately be up to the new editor.  But, given the relative small set of changes/additions expected and the relatively short time available to make them I won't be surprised if that edition continues to be Word-based.

> About six weeks ago, I started work on a "high fidelity" ecmarkup version of
> the ES6 spec. The quote from the minutes suggests that I was doing so by
> modifying es-spec-html to generate ecmarkup rather than HTML. I suppose I
> could have done it that way, but it seems more complex than necessary.
> Instead, I started with the HTML version of the spec, and converted it into
> ecmarkup ('fixing' some bugs and inconsistencies along the way). Once I had
> that, I wrote a script to convert it back into HTML, and iterated on the
> pipeline until the pre- and post- HTML differed only negligibly. I reached
> that point today.

Of course, what we really want is for the post-HTML to only negligibly differ from the PDF (which is the definitive version).

> If you're interested, you can see the results here:
>    https://github.com/jmdyck/es-spec-emu/
>
> Note that ecmarkup & ecmarkdown have evolved somewhat since I started, and
> are still evolving, so things will still need some work, but I figure it's
> in a good enough state for people to look at.

BTW, another concern is that there must be a way produce a high quality paginated printable version (ie, PDF) from the source document.

Allen