Are ES6 modules in browsers going to get loaded level-by-level?

Brendan Eich brendan at mozilla.org
Fri Apr 24 18:39:00 UTC 2015

James Burke wrote:
> So let's stay on this specific point: bundling will still be done even
> with ES modules and a loader that would natively understand ES modules
> in unbundled form. Hopefully the rest of my previous message gave
> enough data as to why.

Not "bundling" in full; your previous post talked about HTTP2 but mixed
dependency handling and bundling. You seemed not to advert to the
problem of one big bundle being updated just to update one small
member-of-bundle. One can be skeptical of HTTP2 but the promise is there
to beat bundling.

So in a future where ES6 or above is baseline for web developers, and
HTTP2 is old hat, there won't be the full bundling and module body
desugaring you seem to be insisting we must have in perpetuity. (Yes,
there will be dependency graphs expressed concisely -- that's not
bundling.) Right?